These crackling bonfire cupcakes are easy to make and perfect for a fireworks night celebration. I chose to use honeycomb matchmakers and the addition of popping candy make them even more fun to eat.
- 4oz butter
- 4oz caster sugar Sugar
- 4oz self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g Butter
- 300g Icing Sugar
- orange food colouring gel
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- Popping candy
- Honeycomb Matchmakers
For The Bonfire Decoration
- Mix the cupcake ingredients together and divide between 12 cupcake cases. Bake at 180C until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Mix the butter and icing sugar together with a small amount of water to make the butter icing.
- Take a third of the mixture and add orange colouring to it. This will be the flames.
- Take the rest of the mixture and add the cocoa powder.
- Put the chocolate butter icing into a piping bag and make a high swirl in the centre of each cupcake.
- Break the matchsticks up and arrange them around the swirl as a bonfire.
- Sprinkle each cake with popping candy.
- Finish the cakes by piping small orange flames.
When making these cakes it is important to use orange gel rather than a liquid food colouring. The later will make the icing taste bitter. I use the colour splash gels. You can now buy popping candy in the baking sections at a lot of the supermarkets if you can't find it in the sweet section.
Are you off to a fireworks party this year?
Pin it for later: