My Mum used to make this soup when I was little and I was so pleased when she passed on the recipe. The internet was against us as for some reason. No matter how many times she tried to e mail it me, I never received it! This recipe serves 4 people and is easy to half if you only want to make it for two.
Personally I like to add a little bit of creme fraiche and cheese to my watercress soup. but that is optional.
Watercress Soup (With No Potatoes)
- 100g butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 packets of watercress
- 50g plain flour
- 75ml chicken stock
- 300ml milk
- salt and pepper to season
- Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Roughly chop the watercress.
- Add the watercress to the onions and butter and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook gently for 4 minutes.
- Add the flour and gently stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the stock and milk.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously for 3 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Blitz in the blender.
Serve with some creme fraiche (or cream) grated cheese and crusty roll.
Pin it for later: