One of my favorite bakes is a lemon drizzle cake, so last week I decided it was time to have a go at some lemon cupcakes. I love the sweetness of the sugar combined with the sharpness of the lemon. I have to say these cupcakes didn't disappoint and the lemon buttercream worked really well.
When I make cupcakes like these I always wonder if the boys will like them. Unfortunately they did, so they were gobbled up quickly. I suppose the one good thing about having three hungry boys is that it does help my waistband totally going out of control!
Lemon Cupcakes With Lemon Buttercream
Makes 10-12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 4oz butter
- 4oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz self raising flour
- zest of 1 lemon
- A squeeze of lemon juice
For the frosting
- 300g icing sugar
- 100g butter
- juice of half a lemon
- Fresh raspberries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix all the cake ingredients together. I find that it is easier if the butter is melted in the microwave first.
- Divide the mixture between 10-12 cupcake cases.
- Bake until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool before adding the frosting.
- To make the frosting mix the icing sugar, butter and lemon juice. If it is very runny add some more icing sugar.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cakes