These cupcakes are actually gluten free as I have been trying out the Free From Fairy Plain Flour. I gave them to the boys and they just exclaimed how nice they were, so clearly don't taste any different to normal.
Red Velvet Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes 6 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 40g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- Red food gel (I actually used Colour splash raspberry colour)
- 1 egg
- 3 oz plain flour (I used Free From Fairy Plain Flour)
- 1 dessert spoon of cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1tbsp milk
For the frosting
- 150g icing sugar
- 50g butter
- 75g cream cheese
- To decorate I used some heart sprinkles and freeze dried strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix all the cake ingredients together. Add enough food colouring to give a nice red colour. The mixture will be lighter if you use a food mixer rather than doing it by hand.
- Divide the mixture between 6 cupcake cases.
- Bake until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool before adding the frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting mix the icing sugar, butter and cream cheese together using an electric whisk.
- Pipe this onto each cupcake and add freeze dried strawberries and heart sprinkles on top.
Perfect for the love of your life this Valentine's Day or as a special treat any day!
Do you do anything special for Valentine's Day?
Pin it for later:
Linked to #bakeoftheweek