With the cold and wintry weather this past week, I have been reminiscing about sipping a lava flow cocktail at the base of Arenal Volcano in Costa Rica. I have had a look online at the various recipes and decided to make one similar to which I was served. Essentially it is a pina colada with strawberry at the bottom which flows up the glass giving a lava effect.
Here is a picture of me enjoying one in the sun at the bottom of Arenal Volcano. Often the strawberry part at the bottom is the bit where the alcohol is so a bit of a mix when drinking it is a good idea.
I decided to make mine using frozen fruits as then I didn't need to use ice. I also made these at 10am on a Saturday morning so missed out the rum. This did, however, mean middle man could enjoy them with me and he was very happy with the taste. I think he also liked the tiny umbrellas!
Lava Flow Cocktails (Or Mocktails)
Serves 2 large glasses
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1tbsp grenadine syrup
- coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- pineapple juice
- Bacardi rum if making cocktails
- Add 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1tbsp grenadine syrup, 1/2 cup of coconut milk and two shots of rum (optional) to a blender and mix until smooth.
- Pour this into the bottom of two tall glasses.
- Wash out the blender and add 1 cup of frozen pineapple, 2 cups of coconut milk and two cups of pineapple juice.
- Blend until smooth and pour on top of the strawberries.
- Sit back, relax and dream of warm climates and fun in the sun.
Do you have a favourite cocktail from your travels?
Pin it for later: