This Black Forest Meringue Cake is fit for a Queen (as well as my 3 boys!) It is a chocolate sponge sandwiched together between morello cherry jam and cream. On top is chocolate spread and a meringue with fresh cream and cherries. I couldn't get any fresh cherries as they aren't in season, but the tinned cherries worked well. Just make sure you take out the stones!
I should point out that as I do a lot of baking, this is only a small cake (using a 5inch cake tin.) For a Normal sized 8 inch cake you will need to double the ingredients. The merguine should be ok as it is. This make two tops for my cake. ( I wanted a spare incase one broke - which it did!)
Black Forest Meringue Cake
- 4oz butter
- 4oz caster sugar Sugar
- 1oz cocoa powder
- 3oz self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 300ml double cream (for the inside and top of the meringue.)
- Chocolate spread
- Morello cherry jam
- 2 egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
For The Merguine
- Mix all the cake ingredients together and put in 2 lined 5 inch round cake tins. Bake at 180C until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Sandwich the cakes together with the cherry jam and whipped double cream. Spread chocolate spread on the top of the cake.
- To make the meringue, heat the oven to 120C.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and slowly add the caster sugar, cornflour and vinegar.
- Draw a pencil circle the size of your cake on the back of some baking parchment. Pipe the meringue onto the parchment.
- Cook for 1hr, then turn off the oven and leave the meringue in there.
- Place on top of the cake and add cream and cherries.
Pin it for later: