Mickey Mouse Cake Tutorial

Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Mickey Mouse Cake Tutorial

Mickey Mouse Cake Tutorial

As Christmas was even more stressful than normal this year, I wanted to make a simple cake for my Dad's Birthday. I know that a Mickey Mouse Style cake isn't the obvious cake for most 70 year olds, but as we were having a break in Disneyland Paris with him it seemed appropriate.

I made a standard sponge cake and covered it in red icing. I then made red and yellow icing beads to put around the edge of the cake.

edge of cake

I then cut out some yellow circles and added these to the bottom half of the cake.

mickey mouse cake

So the cake itself was simple. The oreo Mickey that I can seen on Pintrest was much harder!

Here you need to make sure you melt some chocolate to put the lollipop stick in place.
The Oreos easily break so be careful.

making an oreo lollipop

I added Icing to the Oreo to match it with the cake. the biggest problem here is that Oreo seems to get everywhere!

mickey mouse oreo

So there was my pretty simple Mickey Cake and a Happy Dad/Grandad.

blowing out candles on cake

92 comments:

1. Rebecca Phillips15 January 2015 at 00:41

i love the oreo idea!

ReplyDelete
  2. This is just brilliant! What a clear tutorial post too - I think even I could manage this! Love the joy on his face at the end too :)

3. Louise Fairweather15 January 2015 at 16:37

Yes I like that picture best. The Oreo onto the stick is the hardest part!

4. Louise Fairweather15 January 2015 at 16:38

I ate a lot of broken Oreo's!

ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! My eldest son would love a cake like that for his birthday next month! Might have a go myself thank you!

ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that you put all that effort in.

ReplyDelete
  7. Good use of Oreos. I've never been successful making black icing.

8. Such an effective cake - captures the essence of Mickey perfectly! :D

9. I love it! You are very talented

10. brilliant, my little girl would love this

ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! My Disney crazed lot would love it!

ReplyDelete
  12. This has inspired me to have a go instead of buying one.

13. That looks great!

ReplyDelete
  14. might try this, usually my icing skills are rubbish but with these detailed instructions I might actually be able to do it x

15. Christine Constable22 January 2015 at 10:13

The Oreo Mickey sounds really fiddly - well done on succeeding!

16. wow looks fab!

ReplyDelete
  17. That looks great, i love the Oreo Mickey! Wish I could do something as accomplished as that!x

ReplyDelete
  18. Ooo it's my youngest's birthday next month - he'd absolutely love this!

19. like the simplicity

ReplyDelete
  20. great. you've made it look quite easy. if I find the time to try it myself I'll send you a pic. I'm 99% sure it will be a disaster, but also very funny!!

ReplyDelete
  21. I like that this is a cake that looks nice and isn't that difficult. Some cakes online require a degree in sculpture and painting.

22. Susan Joyce Rogers23 January 2015 at 11:15

Lovely cake,and and Grandad looks pleased with it!

23. Stephanie Campbell23 January 2015 at 11:19

we had a mickey party a year ago, i loved making everything for it... i do however faily miserably when attempting to make the mickey oreo lollys haha i may try them again jsut for fun!

ReplyDelete
  24. Great cake, love the oreo Mickey!

ReplyDelete
  25. It looks very colourful and love the photograph of your Dad who really looks delighted & appreciative of all your efforts. I agree as a fellow novelty cake maker that not everything is as easy or straightforward as it may initially seem. But certainly worth all the efforts of making it yourself as your Dad's face shows!

ReplyDelete
  26. So Simple & so effective. I'd be dead proud if I were you! Well done.

ReplyDelete
  27. mmmm cake. i may try this.

28. really great cake

29. christineshelley27 January 2015 at 12:24

Im all for simplicity - great tutorial

ReplyDelete
  30. This looks great and (more importantly) nice and easy!

ReplyDelete
  31. that looks like a great idea, will have to give it a go with my little sister

ReplyDelete
  32. I wish I had the Patience to Decorate like this.

33. So cute! I love the Mickey biscuit! x

ReplyDelete
  34. Aw, cute cake. I would love to make cakes.. but I'd just eat them all.

ReplyDelete
  35. Cute cake...but as a low-carb girl, with all due respect, I hate you for making me think of cake :P

ReplyDelete
  36. That's some mighty fine caking going on there.
    Wouldn't take many tweaks to the design to make a ladybug cake. Your next project possibly?

Jamie Millard

ReplyDelete
  37. Looks awesome. Those cakes can be hard, so well done :)

38. This is brilliant.

39. Wow that is amazing!

ReplyDelete
  40. I love that you made mickeys ears out of giant chocolate buttons.

41. ah this is fab :)

42. looks yummy!

ReplyDelete
  43. So simple but effective.

ReplyDelete
  44. Will be copying this for my grandsons birthday!

ReplyDelete
  45. A cake that brought a lot of smiles, thanks.

46. I love the colours and the simplicity

47. i love baking special occasion cakes

48. Looks very yummy!

ReplyDelete
  49. You've made this look so easy yet so good.I'm going to have to give it a go. Thanks

ReplyDelete
  50. Goh - this is super. I must have a try!

ReplyDelete
  51. That looks great. I want to learn to decorate cakes but it's so hard to get a good finish!

52. ❄❄️️Kate Cass❄️❄️7 February 2015 at 22:12

The Oreo is such a great idea! Never would have thought of that, great tutorial, TY!

53. Eva Appleby-Gill8 February 2015 at 01:07

Lovely cake

ReplyDelete
  54. What a lovely Cake. I would love to have a go at making it!

ReplyDelete
  55. I like how simple it looks but has that overall effect. Covering it in icing would be the hard bit for me.

56. Novel and inventive

ReplyDelete
  57. that's awesome - I subscribed to the disney baking mag for a bit but everything was so complicated to do - this looks much simpler and very effective

ReplyDelete
  58. Great cake. I especially love the idea using the Oreo biscuit.

59. That's such a good idea

60. you make it look so easy

61. I must have a go at one of these

ReplyDelete
  62. I absolutely adore this cake! Wonderful work :)

63. Kerry Lethbridge9 February 2015 at 09:57

Simple and effective great idea

64. What a fab idea!

ReplyDelete
  65. Oh my goodness thankyou so much for sharing!!! this looks easy i really am going to try this :)

66. i will have to get the girkfriend to try this thank you

ReplyDelete
  67. Great idea, fab pictures.

68. Wow so creative!

ReplyDelete
  69. My grandson would love me to have a go at making one of these for his birthday.

70. Great idea!

71. fab cake - you look like you all enjoyed it

ReplyDelete
  72. This is my new years resolution, to learn to decorate cakes effectively. Thanks for the inspiration :)

ReplyDelete
  73. This is great i have just started getting in to baking and am not too good but will keep trying

ReplyDelete
  74. Looks lovely, I would love to get back into baking but my kitchen is far too small - need a new house!!! x

75. such a great cake super imagination and dedication to create it well done

76. wow... amazing cake!

ReplyDelete
  77. Lovely cake. Clever how you made Mickey :-)

ReplyDelete
  78. I like the simplicity of your cake and the cheery bright colours.

79. Jacqueline Roberts10 February 2015 at 11:04

Might have a go

80. looks fab & easy to do might gave to give it a go

81. Awesome think i need this as my niece loves Mickey

82. Looks good, quick and easy

83. great tutorial - would be very useful

ReplyDelete
  84. This is so cute, it's nice to see disney still going strong. :)

85. Vicky-Louise Robinson10 February 2015 at 19:37

I love the Oreo Mickey! My kids love Oreos! I would have had to do one of those for every child or there would have been some very disappointed kids!

ReplyDelete
  86. Very cute (and achievable)

ReplyDelete
  87. great cake well done, thanks for the tutorial :)